Monday, September 4, 2017

Claim your life back

This video is so empowering, please watch.
It reminds me of the time a client asked me how I got rid of my panic attacks.

My first answer was: I just made a decision - a decision to never have them again.

Panic attacks are tricky, they get you when you least expect it - I still get very mild symptoms occasionally. However, these symptoms are just mere "muscle memory" and they do not interfere with my life or self-esteem anymore. It takes only a couple of minutes to breathe the panic in and out of my system. 

Five years ago I decided to be in control of my body's response to perceived threats. Unfortunately, emotional stresses can impact our bodies in undesirable ways!


I decided that:

I didn't want to keep leaving the classroom all dizzy.

I didn't want to feel the ground opening beneath my feet on a public transport.

I didn't want to eat something I perceived as 'naughty' and then get all sweaty, my heart pumping fast, and feeling afraid of death. (Eating disorders have many faces!)

I was no longer willing to tolerate spoiled nights out with friends, having them nearly undressing me in one instance, while I was unable to catch a breath (Not because they wanted to see me out of the skimpy little black dress!:)

Lastly, I said no to waking up in the middle of the night in sheer terror, gasping for a breath and fumbling in the dark for the window handle.

Those were my dirty little secrets....

When this client opened up to me, in fact, he had the attack 'live' while we had a session together, I remembered how scary and disempowering that condition used to be.

I hope I was able to give him some courage to face these attacks as not his enemy, but his messengers. The body remembers trauma like nothing else.

The only way out is through - accept. Maybe cry. Then forgive. And know that you are ONE decision away from claiming your life back.

xxx


5-4-3-2-1 I'm making a decision to live in JOY now!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think, what you are getting for yourself out of this post, or what you are not getting...

Note: If you are concerned about my non-native grammar, you can contact me and volunteer to become my editor.